So I wasn't going to "blog", but since ATT hasn't come up with a plan yet that will allow me to regale you individually and without penalty here we are. Besides most of you asked for it so blame yourselves...

Friday, June 11, 2010

Running Shorts and Memory Lane

So this isn't REALLY about running shorts, more that they jogged my memory (pun intended!). And that trip down memory lane gave me a warm/fuzzy feeling.

I'm sitting here contemplating my own workout and I got a text from Nick to say he just bought a pair Nike Dri-Fit Tech shorts (his FIRST pair of running shorts) and they've opened up a new realm of running possibilities for him. Our conversation this past weekend was about the 2-yr old sneakers he FINALLY sucked it up and replaced. I've been campaigning for him to invest in some gear and REGULARLY replace his shoes for years- the guy runs more mileage than he realizes. BUT it makes me laugh- we're so much the same- I remember when I first started running I WAS NOT going to be sucked in by the marketing ploy that was run club and start spending all my money on "running gear". I already had t-shirts, loads of them in bags, bins, and boxes (and now in storage!) and shorts (hand-me-down Hummel's) and sneakers (North Face trail sneakers purchased because they were an AWESOME shade of weird yellow). HAHA.

THEN you get some actual clothing engineered for running and its like: "aw-AAWWW! There really IS a difference!" And it's kind of dramatic. Its like, think about swimming with all your clothes on versus a Speedo. It's THAT kind of difference. WHO KNEW? I didn't.

And then Nike introduced me. You hang around Run Club long enough and you're bound to get recruited for by-invitation runs, focus groups, shoe trials, 100-mile club socks, etc. Most of my early running gear was supplied by their "Run Like the City" campaign. Those were some great giveaway shirts. BridgeRunners were always very cool. And of course a shout out to my FAVORITE: the HOHA team jersey (hot pink in 2010???).

Once, instead of flowers a (first) date brought me Tempo shorts. I thought he was "The One". But that's ANOTHER story.

True to form, so far this isn't even so much the story I wanted to tell! Haha! (No one is surprised; I know!)

Nicholas' sudden revelation over the last week has had my running history on my mind. And while I may be feeling a little down about my running these days, it makes me happy & proud to think that over the years MY running has rippled through my circle of friends: Heather's "run 1" (marathon), is training for a second, and contemplating The Tri; Nicholas could be marathon-ready with very little additional effort, except he doesn't take himself for a "serious runner" (been there) and NOTHING can interfere with whatever woodland creature (large or small) happens to be "in season"; Jenny, Marisa, Colin, Hill, Melissa, Sara, - they've all done Halfs; (People actually ask me for advice about running now!) Maybe I'm taking credit where it truly isn't due, maybe I'm just more conscious of peoples' running because of my own, but I hope I did have some influence. And if I motivated them, I hope it comes full circle.

I'm going for a run.

I'll keep you posted.
k8

No comments:

Post a Comment